The Fiji Trades Union Congress sets up its Women’s Committee in accordance with Rule 14 of its Constitution.
Composition and Election
The Women’s Committee is elected bi-annually at the meeting of the FTUC Women’s Delegates Conference
The Women’s Committee for the term 2018-2020 is as follows:
FTUC Womens Committee Members 2018-2020
The purpose of the Women’s Committee is to assist the FTUC in achieving its aims and objectives with particular reference to women’s issues as outlined below:
- To promote the
- participation and integration of women into trade unions
- To examine and introduce structures to organise women workers and strengthen and women’s committee.
- To identify and promote the needs of unorganised women workers and organise them into trade union structure.
- To plan, implement and monitor a programme of action of women workers.
- To review and promote revision of existing legislation in relating to women and initiate enactment of new legislation as considered in the best interest of women.
- Observer status of 1 women representative from the women’s committee on the National Executive Board of the FTUC
- Representative to the ITUC-AP Women’s Committee as Titular Member
- Elected Member to Vice Chair of ITUC Women’s Committee
- Formation of Women’s Committees at affiliate level
- Participation at international trainings
- Active participation on the National Minimum Wage Campaign
- Participation in ITUC “Count Us In Campaign”
The Women’s Committee activity plans are as follows:
- to increase women representation in the trade union movement
- increase women membership by 30% by the next Biennial Delegate Conference
- raise awareness to inform and educate on the roles and functions of the FTUC Women’s Committee to affiliates and the general public
- to develop capacity within the women’s committee to uphold future leadership positions in their respective unions within the FTUC Umbrella
- organizing to recruit women unorganised members from the vulnerable or disadvantaged sectors